- Exception raised by a before commit hook is no longer hidden. No
further commit hooks are called and exception is propagated to
the caller of
commit(). See #95.
Drop support for Python 3.4.
Add support for Python 3.8.
Drop support for legacy transaction APIs including
Transaction.register()and old ZODB3-style datamanagers. See issue 89.
TransactionManager.runnow commits/aborts the transaction “active” after the execution of func (and no longer the initial transaction which might already have been committed/aborted by func) (#58).
Support abort hooks (symmetrically to commit hooks) (#77).
Make Transaction drop references to its hooks, manager, synchronizers and data after a successful
commit()and after any
abort(). This helps avoid potential cyclic references. See issue 82.
Allow synchronizers to access
afterCompletionmethod is called while aborting a transaction.
Make it safe to call
Transaction.abort()more than once. The second and subsequent calls are no-ops. Previously a
ValueError(Foreign transaction)would be raised.
- Changed the implementation of ThreadTransactionManager to be a thread.local that wraps a TransactionManager rather than a thread.local that inherits from TransactionManager. It now exposes a manager attribute that allows access to the wrapped transaction manager to allow cross thread calls. See issue 68.
- Add support for Python 3.7.
- Reach 100% test coverage.
transaction.manager.runformatting transaction notes when given a mix of byte and text strings, such as can happen in Python 2 with
- Make documentation index more user friendly; move old docs to developer section.
- Don’t crash when printing tracebacks in IPython on Python 2. (This addresses https://github.com/zopefoundation/transaction/issues/5.)
Add support for Python 3.6.
Drop support for Python 3.3.
transaction.interfaces.ITransactioninterface to allow external systems to query whether an exception is retryable (transient) by any of the attached data managers. Any
transaction.interfaces.TransientErroris considered retryable but a data manager may also consider other exceptions on a per-instance basis.
- To avoid leaking memory, don’t include unexpected value in warnings about non-text transaction meta data.
- For backward compatibility, relax the requirements that transaction
meta data (user or description) be text:
- If None is assigned, the assignment is ignored.
- If a non-text value is assigned, a warning is issued and the value
is converted to text. If the value is a binary string, it will be
decoded with the UTF-8 encoding the
Added a transaction-manager explicit mode. Explicit mode makes some kinds of application bugs easier to detect and potentially allows data managers to manage resources more efficiently.
(This addresses https://github.com/zopefoundation/transaction/issues/35.)
The user and description fields must now be set with text (unicode) data. Previously, if bytes were provided, they’d be decoded as ASCII. It was decided that this would lead to bugs that were hard to test for.
Also, the transaction meta-data field,
extended_infohas been renamed to
- Fixed: Some legacy applications expect the transaction _extension attribute to be mutable and it wasn’t.
descriptionattributes are now defined to be text (unicode) as opposed to Python the
extended_infotransaction attribute which contains transaction meta data. (The
_extensionattribute is retained as an alias for backward compatibility.)
The transaction interface,
ITransaction, now requires
extended_infokeys to be text (unicode) and values to be JSON-serializable.
Removed setUser from ITransaction. We’ll keep the method indefinitely, but it’s unseemly in ITransaction. :)
The main purpose of these changes is to tighten up the text specification of user, description and extended_info keys, and to give us more flexibility in the future for serializing extended info. It’s possible that these changes will be breaking, so we’re also increasing the major version number.
- Added a transaction-manager
runmethod for running a function as a transaction, retrying as necessary on transient errors.
- Fixed the transaction manager
attemptsmethod. It didn’t stop repeating when there wasn’t an error.
- Corrected ITransaction by removing beforeCommitHook (which is no longer implemented) and removing ‘self’ from two methods.
- Fixed: Synchonizers that registered with transaction managers when transactions were in progress didn’t have their newTransaction methods called to let them know of the in-progress transactions.
- New transaction API for storing data on behalf of objects, such as data managers.
- Drop references to data managers joined to a transaction when it is committed or aborted.
- Drop support for Python 2.6 and 3.2.
- Add support for Python 3.5.
- Added APIs for interogating and clearing internal state to support client tests.
- Use the standard
valuerefs()method rather than relying on implementation details of
- Add support for PyPy3.
- Require 100% branch coverage (in addition to 100% statement coverage).
- Add support for Python 3.4.
- Released in error as 1.4.3.
- Document that values returned by
sortKeymust be strings, in order to guarantee total ordering.
- Fix occasional RuntimeError: dictionary changed size during iteration errors in transaction.weakset on Python 3.
- Updated Trove classifiers.
- Converted existing doctests into Sphinx documentation (snippets are exercised via ‘tox’).
- 100% unit test coverage.
- Backward incompatibility: raise ValueError rather than AssertionError
for runtime errors:
Transaction.doomif the transaction is in a non-doomable state.
TransactionManager.attemptsif passed a non-positive value.
TransactionManager.freeif passed a foreign transaction.
- Declared support for Python 3.3 in
setup.py, and added
- When a non-retryable exception was raised as the result of a call to
transaction.manager.commitwithin the “attempts” machinery, the exception was not reraised properly. Symptom: an unrecoverable exception such as
Unsupported: Storing blobs in <somestorage> is not supported.would be swallowed inappropriately.
- Added Sphinx API docuementation.
- Added explicit support for PyPy.
- Dropped use of Python3-impatible
zope.interface.implementsclass advisor in favor of
- Added support for continuous integration using
setup.py docsalias (installs
setup.py devalias (runs
setup.py developplus installs
- Python 3.3 compatibility.
- Fix “for attempt in transaction.attempts(x)” machinery, which would not
retry a transaction if its implicit call to
.commit()itself raised a transient error. Symptom: seeing conflict errors even though you thought you were retrying some number of times via the “attempts” machinery (the first attempt to generate an exception during commit would cause that exception to be raised).
- Python 3.2 compatibility.
- Dropped Python 2.4 and 2.5 compatibility (use 1.1.1 if you need to use “transaction” under these Python versions).
- Code in
_transaction.pyheld on to local references to traceback objects after calling
sys.exc_info()to get one, causing potential reference leakages.
transaction._transaction.oid_reprand add test.
Transaction managers and the transaction module can be used with the with statement to define transaction boundaries, as in:
with transaction: ... do some things ...
See transaction/tests/convenience.txt for more details.
There is a new iterator function that automates dealing with transient errors (such as ZODB confict errors). For example, in:
for attempt in transaction.attempts(5): with attempt: ... do some things ..
If the work being done raises transient errors, the transaction will be retried up to 5 times.
See transaction/tests/convenience.txt for more details.
Fixed a bug that caused extra commit calls to be made on data managers under certain special circumstances.
When threads were reused, transaction data could leak accross them, causing subtle application bugs.
- LP #142464: remove double newline between log entries: it makes doing smarter formatting harder.
- Updated tests to remove use of deprecated
- Fix test that incorrectly relied on the order of a list that was generated from a dict.
- Remove crufty DEPENDENCIES.cfg left over from zpkg.
- Initial release, branched from ZODB trunk on 2007-11-08 (aka “3.9.0dev”).
- Remove (deprecated) support for beforeCommitHook alias to addBeforeCommitHook.
- Add weakset tests.
- Remove unit tests that depend on ZODB.tests.utils from test_transaction (these are actually integration tests).